Walk Through Campus
A University Of Illinois history & culture tour by foot
Our "Walk Through ______" tours are our most popular set of CU experiences. These comprehensive walking tours are loved by area newbies, history buffs, visitors, and longtime community members alike. We will highlight the best of Champaign-Urbana's three distinct-yet-connected communities: Champaign, Campus, and Urbana. And we'll always have a surprise or two along the way!
WALK THROUGH CAMPUS – From the Alma Mater, around campus and back – 2 hours
Start & End: at the Alma Mater
- The main focus is the history of the University of Illinois, and its significance within the twin cities of Champaign-Urbana that it straddles. We will also tell you about "The Elephant", the mythical legend of the steam tunnels, the oldest/newest buildings, and the can't miss sights/sounds/eats of Campus.
- The walk is roughly 2 miles by foot, with plenty of stops and a short bus ride along the way. The walk covers flat ground the entire way.
- This tour starts and ends near the Alma Mater. We'll email you exact location, parking information, etc once you confirm your booking.
- Indoor stops are frequent in winter or rainy conditions.
- We have never cancelled this tour due to weather. Your guide will be ready rain-or-shine, and we hope to see you there!
Booking & Check-In:
- Booking for this tour is mandatory. Children 10 and under are free, limited to 2 children per ticketed adult.
- Our tour begins promptly, so please arrive 5-10 minutes early to check in.
- Make sure your guide is marked with the Discover CU logo!